Saturday, December 27

Christmas, Perspective, Expectation...

I know, we all love Christmas. And because of that... I am guessing most of you feel that kind of slight drop in your spirit the morning of Dec. 26th... waking into the reality that all the magic has once again come and gone. That the tinsel and music, the anticipation and whimsical, has passed on for the year and will not emerge again until the next winter season. Not that there aren't other incredible and amazing things to look forward to - I just feel the heightened sense of loss most right after Christmas. I don't feel quite so bummed when the Halloween costume gets stashed away or when the last colorful Easter egg has been eaten. I don't ruminate over the silence following July 4th fireworks or even the passing of yet another birthday celebration. There is just something about saying goodbye to Christmas that has always been pretty tough for me.

But, perhaps I am growing up, or striving harder to hear and listen to God's voice - because it hasn't been that big a deal this time around. My focus was redirected this year, just a tad enough for me to notice. I took it all a bit more in stride...almost looking in on the commotion and parties, gifts and gatherings, from an outside vantage point. In doing so, the long term real-ness of this holiday hit home again from a more matured personal perspective.

The bigger picture, the more valuable point to treasure, is that God didn't create Jesus and His humble entrance to Earth to be thought of and enjoyed for just one day, or one season of the year. Quite the opposite - the birth of Jesus, and the salvation opportunity that He brought along with Him, is something to celebrate daily! A truth I should remember hourly, minute by minute. Twinkling tree or not...sugar cookies or not...church pageants or not. Advent wreaths and brightly decorated packages aside - the true reason for the season (EVERY season) is the love and sacrifice of Christ on my behalf.

Setting my thoughts on the coming year - a new start in 2009 - I am asking God to keep me focused. Help me keep the perspective He knows I need. Help me to see, recognize, learn, understand what Jesus intends to teach me. Lord, take these 365 days ahead and prepare my heart and my mind to continue the journey. Please constantly remind me that you are always there and that leaning on you, and walking with you, is the best bet on living this life fully!

5 comments:

cameron said...

Love this! What a great reminder for the season. And so glad you are blogging again - can see that you are really processing a lot of things and will be excited to see how the next year goes for you. And like the new background and graphics. By the way - add Glass Castles to your read list - it is my new favorite book - think you will like it!

Courtney said...

Amen sister! You hit it right on the head.. at least what I've been thinking too. It seems all the hipe is around this day.. but we should be focused and thinking of it daily. Thank you for putting into words what I couldn't.

Love the new look too! (of the blog) It's really pretty!!

Kate said...

I thought I would check in and see if you updated and sure enough a fun surprise! And what a great entry too! Your thoughts and writing is a beautiful reminder to me! Thanks for sharing and I will be praying for you each day! Love ya, Kate

Niki said...

Wow, April, I really needed to read that right now. I have had the after-Christmas funk all day because we had our last Christmas celebration with my family last night. Your post definitely lifted my spirits. Thanks for the good reminder!

Becky Swann said...

Thanks for the good words and you helped me out with easing out of christmas because I got your apron in the mail!! It is AWESOME I love it and I wore it around all afternoon! you are great with putting things into words and if you blogged everyday we would all turn out just fine!