Wednesday, October 10

Stream of Conciousness...

So....it's been a few weeks since I updated my blog - I am still job hunting, still coming up short on finding something creative, fun and nearby that pays well enough to take care of the bills. I am beyond exhausted about the whole thing and have officially passed into the 'weary, worried, and doubtful' category. I just cannot see myself in an office job anymore, but trying to hold out for a better fit is strapping me financially and emotionally. Do I just decide to settle, for the sake of responsibility? Because I can do work in an office setting, and since it does pay decent money - should I just take it and give up on the search for something more meaningful and exciting? Will it be okay to spend 8+ hours doing something that I am not too jazzed about? Am I selfish to have extended the search even this long? I go in circles, as you can tell - asking all this questions over and over, like an endless, repeating record.

Speaking of records...I put together a few mix CDs for friends lately - off stuff I have discovered through my Itunes connection. I love getting on there and finding new, rare or not-yet-well-known artists. A few suggestions for other music junkies: Meg Hutchinson, Chris Pureka, Kalai, Jann Arden, Lori McKenna, Lucy Kaplansky, Martina Sorbara. That's a few for now. Check them out!

Speaking of....check ME out! I have lost a little over 6 pounds so far! It is a slow, but steady weight loss and I am attempting to stay focused on little goals and small steps. Drinking more water, taking my vitamins, 30 minutes of exercise as many days a week that I can manage, better food choices. I am proud of this progress and encouraged by the lower number on the scale. This will certainly be a journey.

Speaking of journeys....my friend, Chris, just got back from a great trip to Germany! She asked me ahead of time what to see and where to visit. (I lived there for 8 years). Chris had a great time in the beautiful country of my childhood - friendly, happy people...cozy, quaint towns... and yummy, hearty food! What she told me about the travels made me miss it all over again! Castles and rivers and green mountains... fun little shops packed with European treasures and the best beer festivals on earth. Chris did bring back my favorite candy - smurf shaped gummys that are hard to find, but impossible to forget!

Speaking of impossible to forget...I went to a college friend's wedding a few weekends back in Virginia Beach. The bride was one of the 7 core friends in our close circle at JMU. We had all met the very first day at school our freshman year and remained tight through all 4 years. Senior year, we shared an old house right off campus - "The Graffitti House", named for a colorful, painted wall separating the yard from the street nearby. We affectionately became the "Graffitti Girls" and the bonds grew even stronger as we faced life beyond school and reality outside the security we'd found in one another. Each year since graduation, we've had a reunion to get away someplace fun and reconnect. This year was the wedding. It was a special time - just remembering the bride in our college years - and seeing her now as a woman, walking down the isle to start married life with a husband! Surreal and wonderful. We danced to our traditional "O.A.R. - Crazy Game of Poker" and reminisced about the adventures and lessons in the shared past. Having these girls in my life, even now, as things change, is such a precious blessing. It gives me a springboard from which to jump and a soft place for me to land.

Speaking of places to land...this has been a novel, and I will end here for now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Apes! I am so proud of you! 6 pounds is AWESOME! So proud! That is wonderful.

I don't know what to tell you about the job thing.. I think job searches suck! So sorry I'm not help.

It sounds like the wedding was a real blast! I glad you had a good time!

And Germany.. you make me want to go!! We should plan a trip on day and you can show me around!

Love you!

Becky Swann said...

April
I forget how much we have in common
speaking of records,I have a few of those gals in my collection and am looking forward to seeking out the others,
speaking of Germany, I spent a couple weeks there forgot that you lived there, my aunt and uncle did! love it love it!
Speaking of Virginia...enough said
I love you lots, I will seriously pray for a perfect job for you. I will! Congrats on the weight loss I'm so proud.I love reading your blog.

Sunday Grant Photography said...

i love hearing about new music. i was sort of getting bored with my ipod so thank you for showing me some more. i will have to check it out. congratulations on the weight loss!! that is awesome. good friends are the best. my sister lived in germany for awhile as well. she actually came home married one time, but that is another story for another time :)

Unknown said...

O April, I so know what you mean by not being meant for the office. I hope it all works out, just remember whatever your decision, God has not left you and He knows what you need and when you need it. It's great to have the freedom to "do what you have to do"
Sounds like great things are happening though, and great things are in store!!!
Can't wait to hear.

Jason and Jennifer Haynes said...

April! I'm sorry it's such a frustrating time for you...If everything else fails Becky and I could teach you how to be a migrant worker...but maybe you'd better not take that option. I have no solutions but to say keep praying and searching. Life's too short and precious. I hope there's a new adventure in store for you very soon. I'm glad to discover your blog and would love to catch up now that life is settling thanks for trying to track me down before! Congrats on the fitness routine! Inspiring! I love the layout of your jewelry website and can't wait to see inspired creations for sale.
~ Jen ...oh I miss Germany...you make me want to take a trip back to it all! (the kinder eggs were what I was addicted to...I was a bit younger though...beer wasn't as exciting to me at the time. I missed out! :-)