Thursday, January 27

Yabo...

My Yabo is gone. It's been extremely tough. She was such a lovely little creature and a dear companion. Cancer is a terrible thing - it takes away goodness and replaces it with pain and heartache. Yabo was not young, but not old for a cat either, so I feel robbed. Precious years I looked forward to were taken before either of us were ready. If there ever IS a 'ready'...



Anyhow, I felt the need to express my sorrow out to the world a bit, maybe to share her story as a way of memorial. At the beginning of starting this (not necessarily successful) blogging deal, one of my first postings was about her and how much I loved her. She is one of those animals that I know will always be considered favorite, one that kindof met me on a different level - a rare connection I believe God can create between special pets and us. My vet felt it too. She had not seen such a tight connection between cat and owner in a long time. When we discovered her cancer, the vet cried with me. It was devastating.



After she operated on Yabo back in early April of 2010, the doc also commented on not having seen a cat so resilient and tough. A massive tumor was removed and she had lost a more blood than expected. Immediately after the anesthesia wore off, Yabo stood up on the surgical table and looked around as if to say 'ok, what's next'? The vet and her staff were amazed. It didn't surprise me one bit. But that wasn't all...


The surgery discovered a rapidly growing tumor that had already invaded Yabo's muscle system and her bones. The doctor told me although the surgery had been helpful, it would probably only give her a few more months of life, maybe 1 or 2. Like the champ she was - my cat lived an additional 9 months! We had Christmas and even New Years together.


I still think I am going to see her when I get home from work, waiting for me by the front door. I have found myself reaching out to snuggle with her in bed, and it's empty in her favorite spots. I can vividly remember the little looks she'd give me when she wanted something specific, how she would run to the cabinet where her treats were, hoping to coax me into following. I remember Yabo's sweet, and almost constant, talking. She always seemed to have something to say. I remember how she would curl up in the drawer of my desk, to be near me when I was working on the computer. Or, how she would literally reach out and paw gently at my face to get my attention.

She was exactly what I had needed, and I was what she needed, and we fit. And I miss her. And that's how it's gonna be... alot of missing.


I love you, Yabo.

3 comments:

Becky Swann said...

Im sorry you lost your pet April! It is hard to have a pet die! But eventually it gets easier and you just have fond memories of when they were her! Love you!!

Just April... said...

True, Becky - I have alot of great memories. I know she was a gift straight from the Lord and it reminds me of His care and perfect provision for me. I will choose to concentrate on the fond memories as I go through this period of loss.

Courtney said...

It always amazing me how God puts pets in our lives at a time when we really need it. I know Skyler is that way for me as Yabo was for you. It's like God knew we needing something present (physical) that would reach out to us and we could reach out to them. They become a constant reminder of God's constant love for us, even though God's love is harder to see, we could see it through our beloved animals. I am sorry about your loss of Yabo, but I am thankful for the extended time you had and the fighter Yabo was to give you two those 9 more months. I know you will cheerish it forever!